Do you think about your yard’s topsoil often? The quality and health of your topsoil are important to think about if you want to keep a successful lawn or garden. Topsoil is vital for your landscape’s appearance. Unfortunately, it can diminish easily due to various reasons, such as too much construction around your house. However, your yard could simply be lacking the necessary nutrients to thrive. If this is the case, you would need to buy some fresh topsoil to improve your lawn’s overall health. Topsoil can be used for your lawn or even your garden. It is the perfect solution to smooth bumpy areas and ensure any low-level spots collect water.
Here is a list of steps to implement in order to add that new layer of nutrient-rich topsoil.
Topsoil For The Lawn
- A fresh layer of soil is always crucial, regardless of whether it is being used for a newly planted lawn or an existing lawn with many bare spots. It will give your grass a new life. First, spread a thin layer of the topsoil in areas it is necessary. This will give the spots the healthy soil needed to grow a green, healthy yard.
- Next, cautiously move the soil around using a rake. Make sure it is evenly dispersed! You do not want some areas lacking the topsoil needed to thrive.
- Now you should water the new soil freely and abundantly. Two inches of water is ideal to supply the topsoil’s first drink. This will encourage it to efficiently disperse all its fresh nutrients into the existing soil as well.
- Lastly, it is always a good idea to add fertilizer to the new layer of topsoil on your lawn. However, do not overdo it. Too much fertilizer saturated on your yard can result in the roots of your grass being burned, especially if it is applied during the summer months.
Topsoil For The Garden
- New gardens on your landscape definitely need a fresh topsoil layer. In order to do this, the best method is to mix about 3 inches of the topsoil into the garden before any flowers are planted.
- Once that topsoil is in place, you should use a tiller machine to appropriately mix the new topsoil with the garden dirt. When you can no longer tell the difference between the garden dirt and the topsoil, then you know the process is done.
- Finally, the last step is to water the combined soil. Before anything is planted, ensure enough water has been used. Just like for the lawn topsoil, there should be enough water to spread the necessary nutrients around your garden. This will create the ideal thriving garden environment for your flowers and plants to grow!
To buy new topsoil and view our inventory of landscaping supplies or to simply learn more about fresh topsoil for your yard, please contact us here at JK Enterprise!